This simple chicken curry is full of fragrant spice and tender pieces of chicken. A heavy hand with spices, including cumin, and cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, plus plenty of chili and fiery.
This chicken curry is easy to make and the texture is really good. This chicken curry is sure to become a family favorite. It is a quick and simple chicken curry recipe with bags of flavor and can be ready in just 30 mins. It is also freezer-friendly so you can also save it for later.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 35 mins
- Total time: 60 mins
- Servings: 6
- Author: Allrecipesweb
- (Tsp-Teaspoon; Tbsp-Tablespoon)
- Chicken – 500 gms (curry cut pieces with bones)
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
For the Masala Paste:
- Refined Oil- 1.5 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds- 2 tbsp
- Fennel Seeds- 1 tsp
- Whole Black Peppercorns- 1 tsp
- Whole Dried Red Chillies, cut- 5-6
- Onions, thick sliced- 2 small (120 gms)
- Ginger, chopped- 1” piece( 8 gms)
- Garlic cloves- 6( 8 gms)
- Green Cardamom- 3
- Cinnamon- 1 small
- Star Anise- 1
- Red Tomatoes, sliced- 2 small (100 gms)
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Bay Leaf- 2 (cut)
- Curry Leaves- 15-20
- Refined Oil- 3 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and set aside for 30 mins.
- For the Masala paste, heat oil and add all the whole spices like cumin, coriander & fennel seeds, whole black peppercorns, and lastly the whole red chilies (cut). Give a mix and fry on low heat for around 2 mins.
- Now add the thick-sliced onions and mix and fry on medium heat for 2 mins.
- Now reduce heat and add the chopped ginger, garlic, and whole spices (green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon & star anise). Mix and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Lastly, add the sliced tomatoes & 1/2 tsp salt. Give a mix and fry on medium heat for 3 mins till tomatoes are soft.
- Remove to a plate and allow it to cool.
- Now transfer this to a grinder/blender jar and first coarse grind it.
- Add 1/2 cup water and blend it to a smooth paste.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan/kadhai and add the cut bay leaves and curry leaves.
- Give a stir and then add the marinated chicken pieces.
- Mix and fry on high heat for 3 mins and then on medium heat for another 2-3 mins till the chicken pieces are browned.
- Now add the Masala paste made earlier and mix & fry on medium heat for 6-7 mins till the masala is fried well and oil separates. chicken curry
- Now add 200 ml water, give a mix, and cover & cook on low heat for 15-20 mins till the chicken is tender and oil separates.
Is Chicken Curry a very different dish?
Chicken curry is quite different from other fast foods dishes. It is a perfect dinner meal and can please the guests and your family.
How can we have a good chicken curry?
To make a good chicken curry take the proper amount of ingredients as described above. And then cook properly. You will be able to make good chicken curry.
Other Names of This Recipe
Madras Masala Chicken Curry | Chicken Madras Recipe | Madras Chicken Curry | Chicken Recipe | Chicken Gravy Recipe | Madras Chicken | Masala Chicken Curry | Chicken Madras|
More Spicy Chicken Recipes
Nutrition Facts( estimation only)
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition.
(-) If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for your personal consumption.
Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018 ESHA Research, lnc. All Rights Reserved.