This Biryani Rice Recipe is a gluten-free and vegan recipe. This biryani rice is an aromatic rice dish, light, and goes well with any vegetarian curry. Biryani rice is basically spice riced whereas rice is cooked with spices. Biryani is an intricate rice dish made with layers of curried meat and rice.
This Biryani recipe is very easy to make just with some simple ingredients that are present in every kitchen. Everyone loves this Rice Biryani but it is most famous in Pakistan and India. You can try it anywhere in the world.
What kind of food is biryani?
Biryani is a mixed rice dish originating among the Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. It is made with Indian spices, rice, and meat usually that of goat, chicken, prawn, lamb, fish, and sometimes, in addition, eggs or vegetables such as potatoes in certain regional varieties.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Difficulty Level: Easy
Author: Allrecipesweb team
Diet: Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
Basmati Rice- 500 gms
- Shahjeera- 3/4 tsp
- Green Cardamom- 5
- Cinnamon stick- 3
- Cloves- 5
- Mace (Javitri)- 1
- Star Anise- 2
- Bay Leaves-2
- Onions, sliced- 2 medium (150 gms)
- Green Chillies, slit- 3
- Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Mint leaves- 3 tbsp & a handful for garnish later
- Biryani Masala- 1 tsp (ready made)
- Refined Oil- 4tbsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter)- 2 tbsp
- Saffron strands soaked in warm milk
- Fried Cashew nuts- 10 whole (optional)
- Barista (Fried onions) – 2 tbsp
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Water- 750 ml
- Milk- 150 ml
- Total 900 ml
- (Alternatively, you can add a 3.5 US cup measure of water, and 1 US cup measure of milk.)
- Soak saffron strands in 4 tbsp warm milk for a minimum of 30 mins.
- Wash and soak the Basmati Rice for 30 mins.
- Fry whole cashew nuts in ghee till golden and set aside.
- Slice 2 medium onions and if using Barista, slice one more and fry in oil until golden.
- Set aside for use later.
- Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add the whole spices, give a stir and when it splutters, add the sliced onions.
- Fry on medium heat for 10 mins till golden. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Add the Biryani Masala and mint leaves. Give a stir and add the water & milk.
- Add salt, give a stir and add the slit green chilies.
- Give a mix again and allow it to come to a boil.
- Add the drained basmati rice and give a mix.
- Cook on high heat for 3 mins, reduce heat to low and close the lid.
- Continue to cook covered on low heat for 5 mins.
- Remove the lid and gently turn the rice.
- Drizzle saffron milk and ghee on top and garnish with fried cashew nuts, mint leaves.
- Cook covered on low heat for 5 mins, switch off the heat and rest it for around 10 mins.
- Remove the lid and gently mix the rice.
- Garnish with fried onions on top to serve.
Biryani Rice | Plain Biryani Rice | How to Make Biryani Rice | Biryani Recipe | Kuska Biryani | Kuska | Kuska Recipe | Plain Biryani Recipe | How to Make Biryani
Common questions about this recipe
What rice is a biryani made of?
To, make biryani we usually use Basmati Rice with its thin, fine grains is the ideal variety to use. Other kinds of rice like brown rice, jasmine rice, red cargo rice can also use to make this biryani. But for better experience use basmati rice.
Is this Biryani a junk food?
Biryani provides balance to nutrients like carbs, protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which is healthy for health. … Although it is high in fat, it is less unhealthy than junk food.