The chicken handi is a very famous recipe in India and Pakistan. The taste of this chicken handi is really amazing. This is very old recipe that is till famous in technology era. Only few basic ingredients are so useful and make this recipe really spicy and delicious. Chicken Handi Recipe in English is an easy and traditional cooking recipe to prepare at home. It provides you an awesome taste of Chicken Recipes.
Why this called handi chicken?
This chicken is prepared in a clay pot called handi in urdu and hindi. Since therefore it is called chicken handi. Mostly the handi is used in ancient times, the taste of food you make in it is really amazing. The use of handi of very common at that time because there is stainless steel. Now a days the use of handi is very rare. And our young generation have not even seen the handi.
How to cook chicken handi
- Cut the boneless chicken thighs into 1” pieces. Marinate with salt and crushed pepper. Mix and set aside for 30 mins.
- Grate the onion and whisk the curd/yogurt.
- Make a paste of the cashew nuts. To make cashew paste, add the whole cashews into a grinder/blender and coarse grind into a fine powder. Add 3 tbsp water and blend into a smooth paste. Set aside for use later.
- Slice the green chillies and chop the coriander leaves for garnish.
- For tomato purée/paste, use readymade tomato purée available in stores. If not available, blend 2 medium red ripe tomatoes into a paste and use that instead.
- Dry roast the Kasuri Methi (dried Fenugreek leaves) and crush it into a coarse powder with your hand.
Is the taste of this handi chicken is same like other chicken recipes?
How many days we can use this chicken?
Its really taste is when it is fresh and hot. But you can use it two days but the taste of it is not be same as the taste when it is cooked.
You may also love these chicken recipes
Chicken Handi Recipe
The chicken handi is a very famous recipe in India and Pakistan. The taste of this chicken handi is really amazing. This is very old recipe that is till famous in technology era. Only few basic ingredients are so useful and make this recipe really spicy and delicious.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadhai and add the grated onion. Fry on medium heat for 4-5 mins till the colour changes. Add the ginger garlic paste, mix and continue to fry on low to medium heat for 2-3 mins.
- Now add the marinated chicken, mix and fry on high heat for 1-2 mins till the colour changes to white and slightly browned.
- Add all the spice powders other than Garam Masala Powder and Kasuri Methi, mix and fry on medium heat for 3-4 mins.
- Now add the readymade tomato purée, give a mix and fry on medium to low heat for 3-4 mins till it’s cooked and oil separates.
- Now add the cashew paste and whisked curd/yogurt, mix it well and cook on low heat for 2 mins till oil separates.
- Now add 150 ml water and sliced green chillies, give a stir and cover & cook on low heat for 15 mins till the chicken is cooked and oil separates.
- Add the garam masala powder and crushed Kasuri Methi (Fenugreek leaves), give a mix and simmer on low heat for 2-3 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- You can also use bone in chicken instead of chickne tighs.
- Some of ingredients can skip if you have not.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 500
- Calories from Fat 42
- % Daily Value *
- Cholesterol 133mg45%
- Sodium 700mg30%
- Potassium 516mg15%
- Total Carbohydrate 5g2%
- Dietary Fiber 1g4%
- Protein 37g74%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.