This comfort food staple is just as tasty and soul-satisfying as Grandma’s Chicken Soup Recipe, but instead of taking many hours—or even a day—to cook.
ours takes less than an hour. Instead of making a long-simmered stock, we start with store-bought chicken broth and water and add stock vegetables and the carcass, bones, and flesh of a leftover roast chicken Spicy pasta soup.
May You Also Love This!
What kind of meat works best in chicken soup?
I use chicken thighs to make the finest Chicken Soup Recipe
When making chicken soup, use darker flesh. Chicken thighs become tender and supple in the broth, much like the chicken in our shredded chicken dish. In the soup, the chicken breast does not tenderize and remains hard.
Can you put raw chicken in soup to cook?
Yes, raw chicken may be added to your broth. There is no risk of hazardous germs getting you sick as long as the chicken is fully cooked and the broth is heated to 165 degrees for at least 15 seconds.
Do you cook the chicken beforehand before adding it to the soup?
First, create the stock. We create the stock first, then add the raw chicken flesh near the conclusion of the soup-making process. You may alternatively boil the breast and thigh chicken pieces whole in the soup, then remove them after about 15 minutes, chill them, and shred them to serve.
How long does it take to cook chicken?
Thin cutlets take around 8 minutes to cook; huge chicken breasts might take up to 15 minutes. When an instant-read thermometer reads 165°F in the thickest section of the flesh, the chicken is done. You may also cut into the chicken to verify whether it is fully done.
Can you cook chicken and veggies at the same time?
Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken. Continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes or until the meat is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
Chicken Soup Recipe
This rustic soup with garlic yogurt is a great way to use up leftover chicken. Serve with cheese scones.
- In a big heavy-bottomed pan, heat the olive oil. Gently sauté the onions, carrots, and thyme leaves for 15 minutes.
- Stir in 1.4l chicken stock, bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove half of the mixture and purée with a stick blender after adding the remaining roast chicken.
- Return to the pan with the remaining soup, peas, and spices, and cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Combine the Greek yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Ladle the soup into dishes, then top with the garlic yogurt and serve.
- If using a slow cooker, gently sauté the onions, carrots, and thyme leaves for 15 minutes before adding them to the slow cooker with 1-liter liquid.
- Add the chicken carcass now if you’re using one. Cook for 2-3 hours on High, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the carcass immediately, shredding any residual chicken off the bones.
- Return to the soup, or stir in the remaining roast chicken and frozen peas.
- Cook for another 30 minutes. Remove half of the mixture and purée with a stick blender before serving as directed above.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 339
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 13g20%
- Saturated Fat 3g15%
- Total Carbohydrate 18g6%
- Sugars 11g
- Protein 39g78%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.