Fish biryani is a simple layered rice dish made with fish, spice and herbs, and basmati rice. As we know that biryani is usually made with chicken or mutton. However here we try it with fish. It is very simple to make and delicious and spicy in taste.
|Fish biryani by allrecipesweb|
As chicken and mutton take much time resting for marination. Fish doesn’t need much resting time after marination. As beginners can try it as it is very easy to make but it is better if you are an expert in cooking. You may serve it with raita or sauce or whatever you like.
You may also love this chicken biryani
Boneless fish fillets/tikkas 550-600 gms ( Haddock, Catfish, Basa or Kingfish)
Basmati Rice- 500-600 gms
Marinate Fish Fillets with:
Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
Oil- 3 tsp
Coriander Powder- 1.5 tsp
Cumin Powder- 3/4 tsp
Kashmiri Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tsp
Lemon Juice- 2 tsp
Onion- Chilli Paste:
Onion, cubed- 1/2 a small onion(25 gms)
Ginger chopped- 1” piece (13 gms)
Garlic cloves- 5 (7 gms)
Green Chillies- 2 (6 gms)
For the Gravy:
Onion, sliced- 2 medium (150 gms)
Onion Chilli paste made earlier
Tomato chopped- 1 medium (75 gms)
Tomato purée (readymade) – 4 tbsp
Coriander leaves, chopped -3-4 tbsp
Mint leaves- 3 tbsp
Green Chillies, slit- 3
Oil- 3 tbsp
Spice Powders for gravy:
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri Chilli Powder- 2 tsp
Biryani Masala- 4 tsp
Fennel Powder- 1 tsp
Salt- 1/2 tsp
For cooking the Rice:
Basmati Rice- 500 gms
Shahjeera- 1/2 tsp
Water- 1.5 litres
Ghee- 2 tsp
Salt- 1.5 tbsp
For the Biryani:
Basmati Rice- 500 gms
Barista( fried onions) by frying 1 medium onion sliced (around 3 tbsp)
Saffron Milk – 10-12 saffron strands soaked in warm milk
Ghee (melted) – 3 tsp + 2 tsp ( for brushing on the base of the pan)
Rosewater – 1.5- 2 tbsp
- Marinate the fish pieces with items specified and mix well to coat the fish pieces with the masala. Set aside for 15-20 mins.
- Take 1/2 cup of warm milk & soak 12-15 saffron strands.
- Slice 3 medium onions (75 gms each) & fry 1/3 of them in oil till golden (Barista)
- To prepare the Onion-Chilli Paste, peel and cut all the ingredients and blend into a paste. You can add 1 tbsp water while blending if required.
- Chop one red tomato and the coriander leaves, slit the green chillies and take out the mint leaves.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 mins before cooking
Frying the fish pieces/tikkas-
- To fry the fish pieces, heat oil in a pan and add them side by side. Fry on medium heat for 2-3 mins till browned & then flip. Repeat the same on the other side.
- Repeat the entire process for the balance fish pieces. Set aside. Also, strain and keep any oil that is left after frying the fish pieces.
To make the gravy-
- To make the gravy, heat 3 tbsp fresh oil in another pan and add the sliced onions. Fry on medium heat for 10-12 mins till light golden.
- Now add the blended onion-chilli paste, give a mix, and fry on medium heat for 2-3 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes & salt and fry on medium heat for 3-4 mins till the tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the spice powders, tomato purée, and 1/2 tsp salt. Also, add 100 ml water, give a mix, and cook on low heat for 2-3 mins. You can add 1-2 tbsp of the oil that was left off after frying the fish pieces for added taste and flavour.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, and slit green chillies, give a mix add 100 ml water.
- Cook on low heat for 1-2 mins till you have the desired consistency.
- Switch off the heat and set aside the gravy.
To cook the Rice & assemble the Biryani:
- Wash & soak the Basmati Rice for 30 minutes
- Boil 1.5 litres of water in a pan on high flame.
- Add all the whole spices, 2 tsp ghee, and 1.5 tbsp salt
- Stir it well to dissolve the salt completely. The water must be very salty.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the soaked rice & keep on high, turning it gently a few times.
- At the same time take a heavy bottom pot (in which the Biryani will be made) and brush with 2 tsp ghee on the base of the pot.
- After 6 mins (while the rice is cooking on high heat) take out half the rice with a strainer and arrange it in the heavy bottom pan. Switch off the heat for the pan in which rice was being cooked.
- Now spread the gravy cooked earlier, uniformly on the rice as shown in the video.
- Arrange the fried fish pieces side by side on top of the gravy.
- Now strain the water from the balance cooked rice and spread it on top of the fried fish pieces.
- Add the melted ghee, rose water, and saffron milk on top of the rice.
- Lastly, add the fried onions (barista).
- Now close the lid and cook on low heat for 8-9 mins.
- Switch off the heat and allow to rest for 20 mins before giving a gentle mix and serve.
People Also search this recipe as:
Fish Biryani | Fish Tikka Biryani | Fish Biryani Recipe | How To Make Fish Biryani | Fish Dum Biryani | Masala Fish Biryani | Hyderabadi Fish Dum Biryani | Boneless Fish Biryani | Fish Biryani Restaurant Style
Common Question About This Recipe
As you know the eating fish save you from many diseases, This fish biryani is also made with fish-like Salmon, Basa and Haddock and they are high in Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s are a healthy fat that prevents a wide range of health issues, including cardiovascular disease, depression and asthma etc.
This Fish Biryani can store up to 3 days in the fridge If it is kept in an airtight container. But if you enjoy its real taste serve it when it is fresh and hot. You can eat smaller portions from the airtight container, but do not heat up a single portion of biryani more than once after it has been cooked.