Focaccia is an Italian bread that is flat oven-baked and similar in style and texture to the pizza. In somewhere it is also called “Pizza Bianca”. Focaccia can be served as sandwich bread or as a side dish.
EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
- 2 tsp / 7g Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Cup / 250ml Warm Water
- 3½ Cups / 450g Bread Flour or High-Grade Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp / 45ml + 30ml Olive Oil
- 1 Sprig Rosemary
- Mix together the active dry yeast and warm water in a small bowl. Leave for 10-15 minutes for the yeast to activate. You’ll know it’s ready when the top is foamy and bubbly.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer measure out the flour, salt, and olive oil. Pour in the activated yeast and water mixture and stir until combined.
- Tip your dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is soft, smooth, and elastic. It may need a little more water or flour here if it’s too dry or too sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball or place it in an oiled bowl. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise somewhere warm until it has doubled in volume.
- Pour two tablespoons of olive oil onto a rimmed baking sheet. Around 12-14″ or 30-35cm long and 8-10″ or 20-25cm wide. Add the dough and press it into an even layer using your fingertips.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and leave to rise for 45 minutes to an hour or until it has doubled in volume.
- When you are ready to bake the focaccia preheat your oven to 200C / 400F. Press your fingertips into the risen dough to create dimples all over.
- Pour over the three tablespoons of olive oil, add the sprigs of rosemary and sprinkle over the salt. Bake the Focaccia for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the tray immediately and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Calories 250
- Total Fat 8 g 12%
- Saturated fat 0.9 g 4%
- Trans fat regulation 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
- Sodium 561 mg 23%
- Potassium 114 mg 3%
- Total Carbohydrate 36 g 12%
- .Dietary fiber 1.8 g 7%
- Sugar 1.8 g
- Protein 9 g 18%
- Vitamin C 0%
- Calcium 3%
- Iron 17%
- Vitamin D 0%
- Vitamin B-65%
- Cobalamin 0%