Jamaican Curry Chicken
Jamaican Curry Chicken – A traditional Caribbean yellow curry made with chicken, potatoes, carrots, and colorful seasonings. This spicy, saucy dish goes great with rice and your favorite sides!
We adore Jamaican cuisine! After several Caribbean vacations, we’ve grown to crave Jamaican cuisine’s bright, bold flavors as soon as summer arrives. Some of our favorite island-inspired recipes include these Caribbean Shrimp Burgers and this Healthy Caribbean Chicken Curry Sheet Pan Dinner.
We recently shared an authentic Jamaican Brown Chicken Stew recipe, complete with a thick and rich gravy and plenty of vegetables. While both are delicious in their own right, this Jamaican Curry Chicken is quite different from the stew – it’s a spicier, saucier dish that goes great with rice and your favorite Caribbean side dishes.
Traditional Jamaican Chicken Curry
In a thin, creamy sauce, spicy yellow chicken curry is loaded with tender potatoes and carrots. You can eat it as a stew or on top of white rice or traditional Jamaican peas and rice.
This recipe takes only an hour and a half to prepare. As a result, it cooks faster than the brown stew but is just as delicious and filling.
OGWhatsApp By Sajjad Mods
And the leftovers are delicious! Make authentic Jamaican Curry Chicken for a relaxing weekend dinner that will last several days. When you add some Caribbean flavor to the table, the whole family will enjoy it!
What You’ll Need for This Caribbean Chicken Recipe
This hearty recipe lets the vibrant seasonings shine. Many of the ingredients are pantry staples or can be found at any grocery store. For this classic yellow chicken curry recipe you need:
- Juiced lime
- We use dark meat chicken thighs and drumsticks that are bone-in (I do not recommend boneless chicken breasts)
- Peeled and chopped onion
- minced garlic
- Yellow curry powder, adobo seasoning blend (store-bought or try our easy homemade adobo seasoning recipe! ), freshly grated ginger, thyme sprigs, allspice
- Vegetable oil – or preferred high-heat cooking oil besides olive oil Habanero pepper (also known as Scotch bonnet peppers) – seeded and minced
- Peeled and chopped potatoes
- Carrots – diced bell pepper – diced chicken broth – or water + bouillon
- As a garnish, use green onion.
How to Make Homemade Jamaican Curry
Here are the four simple steps for making this curry recipe in under 90 minutes.
STEP 1: PREPARE THE CHICKEN
To begin, prepare a large mixing bowl. Remove the skins from the chicken but leave the meat and bones alone. Squeeze the lime juice over the top of the chicken and place it in the bowl. To coat, toss everything together.
MARINATE THE CHICKEN IN STEP 2
Add the chopped onion, garlic, curry powder, adobo seasoning, ginger, thyme, allspice, and habanero to the chicken. To coat, toss well. The chicken should then rest and marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can even do this ahead of time! Refrigerate the bowl for up to 24 hours after wrapping it in plastic wrap.
STEP #3 – BROWN THE CARIBBEAN CHICKEN
After that, heat a large 6-8 quart saucepot on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add half of the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken on both sides for about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken pieces and brown the remaining chicken pieces in the same manner. Then return the first batch of chicken to the pot. Pour in all of the marinating onions and seasonings. Stir the onions and garlic with tongs. Brown for about 2-3 minutes.
SIMMER THE JAMAICAN CURRY CHICKEN IN STEP 4
Add the potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and chicken broth. To combine, stir everything together thoroughly.
Get the Complete (Printable) Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Cover and cook for 25 minutes on medium-low heat. If necessary, reduce the heat.
After 25 minutes, uncover and continue to cook the yellow curry for 5 minutes to thicken the broth. When the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm, alone, or with your favorite sides. We also like to add sliced scallions for a fresh flavor boost.
How to Serve Yellow Chicken Curry
Jamaican Curry Chicken is best served with peas and rice or plain white rice. With a side of Baked Plantains, you have an authentic Caribbean meal that you can enjoy wherever you live.
Don’t forget to save room for the Caribbean Spiced Rum Cake for dessert!
Questions and Answers
HOW SHOULD LEFTOVERS BE KEPT?
This Jamaican Curry Chicken recipe freezes well! Allow the curry to cool before transferring it to an airtight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Yellow chicken curry can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Refrigerate overnight before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
CHICKEN STOCK OR CHICKEN BROTH?
The main difference between the two is that broth is made from meat or vegetables and is usually thin in texture. Chicken stock is typically thicker and made from bones.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS CURRY AND STEW RECIPES?
- Maple Walnut Fudge
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Recipe
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- WhatsApp Aero APK Download Latest Version (Official) November 2022
- PicsArt Gold APK Download Version 21.0.5 [Unlocked] 2022
- Oatmeal Cookies Quaker Oats
Jamaican Curry Chicken
Spicy Jamaican Curry Chicken is a traditional Caribbean yellow curry made with chicken, potatoes, carrots, and colorful seasonings.
- Prep the Chicken: Set out a large mixing bowl. Remove the chicken skins, leaving the meat and bones intact. Place the chicken in the bowl and discard the skins. Pour the lime juice over the top of the chicken and toss them to coat.
- Marinate: To the chicken, add the chopped onion, garlic, curry powder, adobo seasoning, ginger, thyme, allspice, and habanero. Toss well to coat. Then allow the chicken to rest and marinate for at least 30 minutes. (If you want to do this ahead, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator.)
- Brown the Chicken: Set a large 6-8 quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the oil. Once hot, add half the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken on both sides, for 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces, then brown the remaining chicken pieces in the oil for 2-3 minutes per side. Add the first batch of chicken back to the pot. Then pour in all the onions and seasonings from the bowl. Use tongs to stir the onions and garlic into the bottom of the pot to brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Simmer: Pour in the chopped potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and chicken broth. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, reducing the heat if needed. Then uncover and simmer for another 5 minutes to thicken the broth. Once the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender, taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve: Enjoy warm with rice or Jamaican Peas and Rice.
- To save money on groceries, make your own adobo seasoning.
- This Jamaican Curry Chicken recipe freezes well! Allow the curry to cool before transferring it to an airtight container. Refrigerate for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Refrigerate overnight before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Leave a Comment