Korean Chicken Skewers Recipe
Low-Carb Korean Chicken Skewer Recipe: A tantalizing blend of Asian chiles, ginger, and garlic glazes this simple chicken kebab recipe. It’s simple to prepare and SO DELICIOUS!
On a Stick Chicken
Over the years, I’ve discovered that if I season a standard grilled chicken recipe with a special dry rub or glaze, my family will eat it.
However, if I use the same glaze and brush it on chicken that has been chopped and threaded onto wooden skewers… My family is enthralled by it!
What is it about putting food on a stick that makes it so exciting?
Is it because you no longer require utensils? Is it because the chicken is cut into small chunks that the glaze-to-chicken ratio is higher? I’m not sure. What I do know is that five minutes of extra preparation makes a huge difference in the lives of the people I care about the most.
Kebabs of chicken (Kabobs)
Another puzzle is whether kebabs or kabobs are spelled correctly. I believe the official term is kebab. To avoid confusion, we’re sticking with skewers today.
One thing I can guarantee is that whenever you use wooden skewers to make chicken skewers, you must soak the skewers in water first.
Pro tip: Soaked skewers will not burn on a hot grill. If you skip this step, you’ll end up with burnt wood sticking out of the grates and little pieces of a chicken laying over them.
Skewers of Korean Chicken Recipe
With its crispy crust and spicy-sweet glaze, we adore Korean Fried Chicken.
But today I wanted to make a lighter, leaner version of this classic recipe. So I paired boneless, skinless chicken breasts with a delectable Korean-inspired glaze made with Gochugaru chile flakes.
One of the most prominent Korean ingredients is gochugaru chile flakes. They contribute to the distinct flavor of Korean barbecue sauce (Gochujang), as well as kimchi and many traditional Korean soups and grilled dishes.
Gochugaru can be found at any standard grocery store with a good International section, at all Asian markets, and online.
P.S. If you haven’t been to your local Asian market, you should go. It’s exciting to discover new ingredients, snacks, and even dishes and cookware!
Ingredients for Korean Skewers
- Cut chicken breasts into small cubes.
- A little honey goes a long way.
- Gluten-Free Soy Sauce – If you use gluten-free soy sauce, this recipe is completely gluten-free. For a paleo version, substitute coconut aminos.
- Korean chile flakes are known as gochugaru. You could use Gochujang chile paste instead. However, please keep in mind that it is not always gluten-free. Crushed red pepper would also work.
- Sesame Oil – To add a deep nutty flavor.
- Freshly grated ginger is ideal for this recipe.
- Freshly minced garlic
- For the garnish, use sesame seeds.
The combination of these classic Asian ingredients makes a bold zesty glaze that gives plain chicken a brilliant makeover.
Cooking Instructions for Chicken Skewers
A few factors can make or break this Korean Chicken Skewers recipe. Make certain…
- Soak your skewers in water. As previously stated, if you use wooden skewers and skip this step, you will end up with a messed-up grill… There may be no skewers left.
- The chicken should be sprayed. Instead of spraying or oiling the grill grates, I spray the chicken with nonstick cooking spray before placing it on the grill.
- Grill on low heat. Cook on medium-low heat to prevent the chicken from burning.
- Glaze. Before adding the glaze, partially cook the chicken. This helps to keep the glaze from burning.
See the full (printable) recipe for Korean Chicken Skewers below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
HOW LONG CAN THIS RECIPE BE KEPT IN THE FRIDGE?
Fully cooked leftover chicken skewers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days.
You can, but keep in mind that the larger the chicken piece, the longer it will take to fully cook. Make sure to leave the chicken on the grill for a little bit longer.
WOULD YOU RECOMMEND USING GOCHUJANG PASTE INSTEAD OF PEPPER FLAKES?
Reduce the honey to 3 tablespoons, then add 3 tablespoons of gochujang paste.
More Protein Recipes
- Simple Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
- Roasted Chicken With Garlic And Lemon
- Download Fouad GBWhatsApp APK 9.45 Latest (Official) 2022
- Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
- Easy Hamburger Patty Recipe
Korean Chicken Skewers Recipe
This low carb chicken kebab recipe is glazed with a delectable combination of Asian chiles, ginger, and garlic. It’s simple to prepare and SO DELICIOUS!
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in a pan of water while you are prepping the ingredients. Preheat the grill (or a grill pan) to medium-low heat.
- Chop the chicken into 3/4 inch cubes. In a small bowl, mix the honey, soy sauce, gochugaru, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Whisk well.
- One at a time, take the skewers out of the water and thread chicken cubes on the skewers. Once all the chicken is skewered, salt and pepper them liberally. Then spray the skewers with nonstick cooking spray on both sides.
- Place the chicken skewers on the grill. Grill for 2 minutes per side. Then brush half the glaze over the skewers and grill another 3 minutes. Flip the skewers one last time and glaze again. Grill for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from the grill. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm.
Leave a Comment