Lucknowi Biryani Spicy Recipe
In Lucknowi biryani, the meat is cooked on slow flame until it’s far almost completed. While buying the beef on your biryani, you ought to make certain that the mutton is sparkling and the portions are small. This biryani also can be made the usage of fowl and fish, but it tastes best with goat meat.
Lucknowi biryani is served with Raita and Onions, for your house party. Biryani comes from the Mughlai delicacies and has a few notable variations executed in distinctive regions in which the Mughals used to travel.
Biryani is made in different styles in the unique states of India. There may be nothing as filling as a pot complete of Biryani.
I have also shared many different Biryani Recipes as:
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 70 mins
Keyword: Lucknowi Biryani
Equipment Used: Cast Iron Tawa/ Flat Skillet, Cast Iron Cooking Pot/ Casserole
Goat/Lamb – 1 Kg (large tender pieces with bones)
Basmati Rice- 750 gms
For cooking the meat:-
- Green Cardamom-10
- Cloves- 10
- Cinnamon- 4 (1” pieces)
- Black Cardamom-2
- Whole Black Peppercorns-10
- Mace (Javitri)-2
- Bay Leaf- 4
- Ghee (oil)- 1/2 cup (US cup measure)
- Yellow Chilli Powder- 6 tsp (In case not available you can use red chili powder )
- Crushed Fried Onions (Barista)- 5 tbsp (around 2.5 medium onions)
- Ginger Garlic Paste- 2 tbsp
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Whisked Curd/Plain Yogurt- 6 tbsp (around 130 gms)
- Warm Water- 300 ml
- Green Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder- 2 tsp
- Maca Powder (Javitri)- 1 tsp
- Rose Water- 1.5 tbsp
- Kewra Water- 1 tbsp (Screwpine essence)
- Fried Onions (Barista)- 5 tbsp (around 2.5 medium onions)
- Ginger julienned- 3 tbsp
- Green Chillies, slit- 4-5
- Mint Leaves (Pudina)- 4 tbsp
Ingredients required for cooking the rice :
- Basmati Rice – 750 gms
- Water – 3-3.5 liters
- Salt- 2.5 tbsp
- Lemon Juice- 2 tsp
- Ghee- 2 tsp
Ingredients required for the DUM:
- Saffron soaked in 8 tbsp warm milk
- Ghee- 3 tbsp mixed in 1 cup of rice water in which rice was cooked
- Kewra water- 2 tbsp
- Slice 5 medium onions (each medium onion is around 75 gms) and fry in oil till golden. Take it out on a plate and allow it to cool.
- Take half of it and lightly crush it with your hand. Set aside the balance in a plate for use later as garnish.
- Whisk the curd/plain yogurt and set it aside for use later.
- Soak saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
- Peel and julienne the ginger to give around 3 tbsp.
- Slit the green chilies and take out the mint leaves.
- Make a powder of the green cardamom seeds and also Mace (Javitri)
- Soak the Basmati Rice for 1 hour before you cook it.
Cooking the mutton-
- Heat 1/2 cup of ghee in a flat Lagan/ heavy-bottomed pan.
- Now add all the whole spices, give a mix, and fry for 30 secs.
- Reduce heat to low and then add the Ginger-Garlic paste. Give a mix and fry on low heat for 2-3 mins.
- Now add the mutton pieces, mix and fry on medium heat for 2 mins.
- Add 2 tsp salt, give a mix, and cover & cook on low heat for 10 mins. You can remove the lid and give a stir once after 5 mins so that the color of the mutton pieces is uniform.
- Remove lid & add the Yellow Chilli Powder and the crushed fried onions. Mix and fry on medium heat for 2-3 mins.
- Now reduce heat to low or switch off and add the whisked curd/plain yogurt. Give a mix completely (and if you had switched off, switch on heat on low once the curd/yogurt is mixed completely)
- Continue to stir and cook on low heat for 2-3 mins till oil separates.
- Cover & cook on low heat for 15 mins. Give a mix and add 300 ml warm water. Cover & cook on low heat for 25 mins. The meat should be tender by now.
- Now separate the mutton pieces and strain the balance in a strainer, into a smooth gravy. It should be around 300 ml and if it is less, you can add some water.
- Give a mix and add it back to the Lagan/heavy-bottomed pan.
- Next, add back the mutton pieces.
- Switch on heat to low and then add Green cardamom powder (Elaichi Powder), Maca Powder (Javitri Powder), Rose Water, Kewra Water
- Give a mix and cook on low heat for 2 mins and then switch off the heat.
- Now garnish with Ginger Juliennes, Fried Onions or Barista, Slit Green Chillies, Mint leaves
Cooking the Rice:
- Take 3 liters of water in a pan and heat it on high heat.
- Add 2 tsp ghee, 2.5 tbsp (tablespoon) salt, and 2 tsp lemon juice. Give a stir and allow the water to come to a boil.
- Now add the drained basmati rice and stir gently. Continue to cook the rice on high heat in boiling water for 6-7 mins giving a stir a few times very gently.
- Switch off the heat and take out the rice with a strainer and spread it on top of the mutton arranged earlier. One-half of the rice has been taken out, sprinkle half of the saffron-soaked milk, and then spread the balance rice.
- Once all the rice has been layered on top of the arranged mutton, sprinkle the balance saffron soaked milk and also sprinkle the ghee mixed with the hot rice water all over the rice.
- Also, sprinkle 2 tbsp Kewra water.
- Now seal the Lagan pan with foil and then close the lid.
- Now place a Tawa on the cooktop and then place the Lagan pan on top of it.
- You could also place a glass bowl with water for additional weight on top.
- Cook on medium heat for 10 mins and then on low heat for 15 mins.
- Switch off the heat and allow it to rest for 20 mins.
- Remove the foil and mix the rice and meat gently.
People also search this recipe as:
Lucknowi Biryani | Awadhi Mutton Biryani Recipe | Lucknowi Mutton Dum Biryani | Awadhi Biryani | Awadhi Mutton Biryani Recipe | Lucknowi Mutton Biryani | How To Make Lucknowi Biryani | Awadhi Biryani Recipe | Lucknowi Biryani Recipe
Leave a Comment