Today I’m sharing with you a recipe for one of my favorite pizzas, a Margherita. It’s a really simple pizza with only a few good quality toppings but it tastes amazing. To start off with you need some pizza dough, you can either buy some pizza dough or a pizza base or you can make your own.
- Rolling Pin
- Pizza Stone
- Pizza Base
- 1/2 Tin Tomatoes
- Small Handful Basil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
1. If you are making your own pizza dough leave it to rise while we make some pizza sauce. For this, I’m using half a tin of tomatoes, a small handful of basil, and a garlic clove. Pour the tomatoes into a saucepan, followed by the basil leaves. Just tear them up.
2. Dice up the garlic clove and add that to the pan. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes until the tomatoes break down and the sauce thickens. Leave to cool. Now it’s time to shape your pizza.
3. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to form a pizza shape. Flour the pizza base well and transfer to a baking sheet or if you are using a pizza stone I find baking paper works well to transfer it. The toppings for this pizza are few, but they have a lot of flavors.
4. You will need some mozzarella, a few ripe tomatoes, and a bunch of fresh basil. You’ll also need some good quality olive oil and salt and pepper. Slice up the tomato and mozzarella into thin slices and remove the stalks from the basil. Now you’re ready to top your pizza.
5. Take a spoonful of the pizza sauce you made earlier and spread that thinly over the pizza base, leaving a rim around the edge to be the crust. Place the tomatoes slices on top evenly in a uniform shape, followed by mozzarella cheese slices.
6. Drizzle over a small amount of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Bake your pizza in the highest setting your oven will go to, preferably on a pizza stone, this does make a lot of difference. The pizza is done when the toppings are cooked and the base has risen and browned. Allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes before garnishing with the basil.