Daal Masoor is a popular vegan/ vegetarian India and Pakistan recipe made with black gram lentils. It can be served with rice and naan. The addition of some salad makes it more favorable and spicy. Today I am sharing this recipe in a very simple way.
Masoor daal recipe is very basic in India and Pakistan that prepared every week. Ingredients of dal masoor are easily available everywhere, so don’t worry about its ingredients. Tempering in this dal is optional but I highly recommend you for it. You can’t enjoy the taste without tempering/tadka.
How to cook masoor dal khari?
- As compared to other daal like masroor daal, moong daal and mash daal this particular khari daal take more time to cook. So, start with soaking this daal masoor Khari. Soaking reduces the cooking time and daal will cook soft.
- After soaking put them into a pot with water and spices and cook them on low heat. Use a whisk and give some pluses.
- After this give a Tarka( Tarka means tempering) heat oil in a small wok and add some cloves of garlic or some chop onions. Heat until garlic or onions become golden brown and pour the daal in it. Tempering or Tarka/ tadka is a technique that is used in India and Pakistan.
Is dal masoor good for health?
masoor dal has a healthy amount of calories as well as carbs. Excessive use of masoor can cause fat to increase body and also result in obesity. So, be careful while using an excessive amount of daal.
More Recipes you may also love
Daal Masoor Spicy Recipe
Daal Masoor is a popular vegan/ vegetarian India and Pakistan recipe made with black gram lentils. It can be served with rice and naan.
- Add masoor daal and moong daal(optional) to a pot or in a pressure cooker. Wash it until the water runs clear.
- Now add tomatoes, water, and green chilies.
- Pressure cook for about 1 to 2 whistle on medium heat. If cooking in a pot, cook it until it becomes soft you can add more water if needed.
- Once the pressure releases open the cooker.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a small pan.
- Add cumin, red chilies, mustard, and garlic.
- Saute until the garlic becomes a little bit golden.
- Now turn off the heat and add chili powder, hing, and Tumeric. You can also add garam masala if using.
- Quickly pour this off to the dal and now is the time to add salt and Kasuri methi if used.
- Masoor dal is ready to serve with naan, roti, or rice. Squeeze in some lemon before serving.
- The amount of masoor daal you can take less or more according to your desire.
- For Variations, you can also add some spinach, methi leaves, and carrots to the masoor dal.
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 300
- Calories from Fat 10
- % Daily Value *
- Cholesterol 25mg9%
- Sodium 99mg5%
- Potassium 800mg23%
- Total Carbohydrate 44g15%
- Dietary Fiber 20g80%
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 16g32%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.