Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell
The delectable Mexican Pizza flavors on this Taco Bell pizza are in abundance! Prepare to be amazed. Making your own pizza has one major advantage: you can add as many toppings as you wish.
But you also don’t want to overdo it. The toppings shouldn’t compete with one another too much. This recipe fills that need. Pizza is stuffed full of delicious ingredients that go well together. You get a great blast of strong flavors from it.
So instead of going through the drive-through, why not create your own Mexican pizza from Taco Bell? We should eat!
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza Copycat Recipe
There’s no need to go to Taco Bell to get a taste of the popular American-made Mexican pizza. It is simple to make this famous dish at home. To begin with, you won’t have to worry about making your own dough for these pizzas.
Simply get some flour tortillas and quickly pan-fry them, and your base is ready to go. Toppings include Mexican-seasoned beef, refried beans, olives, tomatoes, and green onions.
That’s not all. Did I mention that this dish is a cross between a pizza, a quesadilla, and an enchilada? So, on top of the toppings, add another layer of flour tortilla, followed by enchilada sauce and a slew of cheeses. Nothing else will make your mouth water like this.
- No need to make the crust from scratch with flour tortillas! To crisp up flour tortillas, simply pan-fry them in oil. I prefer 8-inch tortillas, but any size will do.
- Browned ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning. Don’t worry, I’ve included cooking instructions as well.
- Refried beans are the glue that holds the layers together. The canned variety will suffice.
- Enchilada + Taco Sauce – For a fresh, tomato-y flavor with a kick.
- Mozzarella – For that stringy ooey-gooey goodness.
- Mexican Cheese Blend – Alternatively, a blend of Monterey Jack, cheddar, and other melty cheeses.
- Tomatoes, black olives, and green onions serve as the finishing touches.
How to Make Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
1. Pan-fry the tortillas.
This recipe yields 4 pizza quesadillas, so you need to pan-fry 8 tortillas.
Heat up some oil in a skillet over high heat, then pan-fry each tortilla until golden brown.
Flip the tortillas over frequently to keep them from over-browning.
The tortillas will take about 2-3 minutes per side to cook. If you need to add more oil, go ahead.
Drain the excess oil with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put together the first layer.
Place the 4 tortillas on a baking sheet and evenly spread the refried beans on top. Top each pizza with ground beef and half of the mozzarella, then wrap with another tortilla.
4. Make the sauce.
Mix together the taco and enchilada sauces in a bowl. Done.
5. Assemble the second layer.
Slather the sauce mixture over the pizzas. Sprinkle them with mozzarella and the Mexican cheese blend.
6. Bake the pizzas.
Pop them in the oven for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheeses start to bubble.
7. Garnish with more toppings.
Top the pizzas with diced tomatoes, black olives, and green onions. If you plan to add more toppings, like guacamole and sour cream, now’s the time.
Slice the pizzas into quarters, serve, and enjoy!
How to Cook Mexican-Seasoned Ground Beef
1 cup (1/2 pound) ground beef
1/2 packet taco seasoning (about 1-2 tablespoons)
14 cup water
- Brown the beef.
Heat the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir for 5 minutes, or until it’s crumbled and no longer pink. Excess grease should be drained.
- Season the beef.
Bring the taco seasoning and water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened.
Tips for the Best Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
- If you want a crispier crust, bake the pan-fried tortillas for 5 to 7 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the pizzas vegetarian by skipping ground beef.
- While it’s now how Taco Bell does it, add some cheese underneath the 2nd layer of the tortilla so that it adheres to the first layer. That way, the pizza won’t slide apart as you slice.
- You can use corn tortillas if you can’t find flour. The size doesn’t matter, either. You can pick small tortillas for a taco-like treat, or the big ones for burritos.
- Can’t eat beef? Ground turkey works, too.
- The original Taco Bell pizza uses a sauce with tons of diced tomatoes. You can replicate that by mixing some drained diced tomatoes with enchilada sauce.
- Add as little or as many of the toppings. As I said, the beauty of making your own pizza is that you have control over everything! Don’t like olives? Take them out. Love ground beef? Add more!
- Add jalapenos to the sauce or the pizza for a fiery kick.
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza Storage
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Rewarm them in the toaster, air fryer, oven, or microwave until thoroughly warmed.
There’s also good news! The pizzas can be frozen for up to 2 months. Simply double wrap them in plastic wrap and foil before placing them in the freezer.
Thaw them in the fridge before reheating in the toaster, oven, air fryer, or microwave.
Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell (Copycat Recipe)
Skip the drive-through and make your own Taco Bell Mexican pizza! It’s even better than the real thing, with only a few ingredients and 15 minutes of cooking time!
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a deep skillet over high heat. Pan fry the tortillas one by one, flipping them over often, until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Add more oil if needed. Place the tortillas on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 4 pan-fried tortillas on a baking sheet. Slather 3 tablespoons of refried beans evenly over each tortilla. Top with ground beef and half of the mozzarella. Close it up with another piece of tortilla.
- In a bowl, combine the taco sauce and enchilada sauce. Spread 2 tablespoons of sauce evenly over each tortilla. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Mexican cheese blend on top.
- Bake the pizzas for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheeses have melted. Remove from heat.
- Top the pizzas with diced tomatoes, black olives, and green onions. Add more toppings, if desired. Slice the pizzas into quarters. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Comment