Today I’m sharing with you how to make a Mirror Cake. A mirror cake is a cake covered with a glaze that sets with a reflection, hence the term mirror. There is a tonne of different designs, I’m going to show you how to create a marble-like effect. The sweetened condensed milk is the most important ingredient in the glaze, it’s what going to create the reflection.
You don’t need any special equipment to make this cake, and it’s not too difficult either so let me show you how to make it. The first thing you need to make a mirror cake is a cake. You can really use any type you would like, chocolate cake, cheesecake, I’ve chosen to make a strawberry and white chocolate mousse cake, Make it the day before and place it into the freezer to freeze overnight. The frozen cake is going to help to set the glaze.
EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
- Wooden Spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Cake Stand
- Gel Food Coloring
MIRROR GLAZE RECIPE
- 1 1/2 Cups | 300g Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 Cup | 200g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon | 150 ml Water
- 2 Tablespoons | 20g Gelatin Powder
- 1/2 Cup | 125 ml Water
- 2 Cups | 350g White Chocolate Chips
- Gel Food Coloring
- Frozen Cake
1. When you are ready to make the glaze measure out the white sugar and place it into a medium-sized saucepan. To the sugar add sweetened condensed milk as well as water. Place the saucepan over medium-low heat stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. While the sugar, condensed milk, and water are heating up, in a small bowl measure out 2 tablespoons of powdered gelatin and pour over half a cup of cold water.
2. Mix the water and gelatin together with a spoon and leave for a few minutes. Stir the sugar, condensed milk, and water until it just begins to simmer, and turn off the heat. Stir it into the liquid until it has completely dissolved.
3. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl, pour in two cups of white chocolate chips. Make sure to use chocolate chips or cut the chocolate small so it will melt a lot easier. Pour the hot liquid over the white chocolate and leave it to sit for about 5 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
4. After 5 minutes use a whisk to gently mix the glaze until the chocolate chips have completely melted, this will take a few minutes. Be very gentle to not put any air into the glaze as this will create air bubbles on the finished cake. Now you can add your coloring. Which color do you want?
5. Stir the color into the glaze. Before you pour the glaze it needs to cool. The ideal pouring temperature is around 35-37 degrees celsius or about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, basically body temperature. Remove your cake from the freezer and place it onto a cup that is sitting in a tray to catch the drips from the glaze.
6. Begin to pour the glaze over the cake, it will run down covering the sides. A lot of the glaze will drip off, but you should get good coverage. To create the marble effect use gel food coloring and add a few drops to the top of the cake. Use a small offset spatula to smooth over the cake, spreading the gel coloring. The glaze will still spread down the cake, making the effect look more authentic. Leave the glaze to set for 3-4 hours before cutting into the cake.
Common Questions about this Mirror Cake Recipe
Can I re-use the extra glaze?
Can I do more colors?
How do I store the Mirror Cake?
Some Quick Steps to make Mirror Glaze Cake
- Add the sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and water to a medium-sized saucepan and heat over medium-low warmth, stirring once in a while.
- Pour the water into the powdered gelatin and blend with a spoon. Leave to swell for a couple of minutes.
- When the sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and water start to simmer cast off from the warmth, and upload the swelled gelatin. Stir until the gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour the hot liquid on the pinnacle of the chocolate chips and go away to sit down for 5 mins to soften.
- Use a whisk to stir the glaze until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Add the gel food coloring and stir until nicely mixed. Leave the glaze to chill 90F pour it over the frozen cake that’s on top of a cup sitting on a tray to seize the drips.
- Leave the glaze to set for 15 minutes earlier than the usage of a spatula to get rid of the drips.
- Transfer the cake to the refrigerator to set for a few hours before serving.