This Mushroom Masala recipe is an easy, scrumptious Punjabi style one-pot mushroom Curry made with white button mushrooms in a spiced onion-tomato gravy. Though I have made the curry in a pan, I additionally cover Instant Pot commands after my step-through-step manual under and within the recipe card.
About Mushroom Masala Recipe
My mushroom masala recipe like most of my recipes is straightforward to put together. To make this tasty curry, there is a few prep work like making onion paste and tomato puree.
Both of which may be without problems carried out in an awesome blender or mixer-grinder. When you’re ready with the onion paste and tomato puree, making the mushroom masala is a breeze.
The onion paste is caramelized and this offers a deeper, richer taste inside the gravy. I also add sparkling curd (yogurt) which makes the gravy a bit creamy with a smooth consistency and a flavorful taste.
There are no nuts like cashews and almonds on this mushroom masala gravy. Thus the curry does not have a thick and creamy consistency.
Instead, it’s miles noticeably flavorful, light with a gravy that can be without problems poured on steamed rice. You also can have it with a few soft dinner rolls or roti or paratha.
You may also love these recipes
How to Make Mushroom Masala
- Cut the peeled onion and tomatoes into thick slices. Also peel the ginger and garlic & cut the ginger and green chillies.
- To make the gravy, heat oil in a pan and then add the sliced onion and fry on medium heat for 3 mins till light brown.
- Now add the ginger, garlic, green chillies and cashews. Give a mix and fry on medium heat for 2 mins. Now add the sliced tomatoes, give a mix and cook on medium heat for 2 mins.
- Now add the salt, turmeric and Kashmiri Chilli powder, give a mix and then fry on low heat for 3 mins till the tomatoes are soft.
- Take it out on a plate and allow it to cool. Blend it till smooth after adding 2-3 tbsp water.
- Chop 1 medium onion and coriander leaves to garnish and slit 2 green Chillies.
- Clean and wash the mushrooms and pat dry. Cut the mushrooms into halves.
Restaurant Style Mushroom Masala Recipe
This Mushroom Masala recipe is an easy, scrumptious Punjabi style one-pot mushroom Curry made with white button mushrooms in a spiced onion-tomato gravy.
For the Gravy
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the whole spices. Once it splutters, add the chopped onion. Fry on medium heat for 5 mins till light browned.
- Now add the blended masala paste for 1 min on medium heat.
- Add the spice powders (other than garam masala) and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Fry on medium heat for 5-6 mins till oil separates.
- Now add the cut mushrooms, mix and cook on medium heat for 2-3 mins.
- Now add 200 ml water, mix and cover & cook on low heat for 10 mins.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and cook 2 mins on low heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- If you do no longer have Button Mushrooms then cremini mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms make an awesome replacement.
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 200
- Calories from Fat 17
- % Daily Value *
- Cholesterol 4mg2%
- Sodium 420mg18%
- Potassium 425mg13%
- Total Carbohydrate 13g5%
- Dietary Fiber 4g16%
- Sugars 6g
- Protein 5g10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.