Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Recipe is my favorite recipe that I ever made. Put the ingredients for this dinner in a slow cooker when it’s too hot to cook, and then wait for the praises to roll in. This hearty recipe is made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, an abundance of herbs, and Castelvetrano olives that have been pitted. In this dish, their stronger flavor and color truly enhance the overall experience for us.
The sauce already contains healthy sun-dried tomatoes and spinach, so the addition of some red pepper flakes gives it a little extra kick. Make sure to serve this with some crusty bread so that you can sop up all of the delicious goodness that is in the sauce.
CREAMY SLOW COOKER TUSCAN CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
In our house, this simple one-pot slow cooker dish is a family favorite! Serve with spaghetti, rice, or mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables for a quick midweek meal that takes only 15 minutes to cook!
YOU’LL NEED THE FOLLOWING TO MAKE MY CREAMY TUSCAN SLOW COOKER CHICKEN: *
Please scroll to the bottom of the recipe card for the ingredient proportions and full detailed procedure.
chicken thighs – I recommend 700g of skinless chicken thighs to serve 4-6 people (4 large serves or 6 small serves). If you choose, you can increase the amount of chicken to 1kg. If you like, you can substitute skinless chicken breasts for the chicken thighs.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
paprika – I prefer ground paprika (also known as sweet ground paprika). Avoid using smoked paprika because it has a strong flavor (and isn’t popular with children!).
Onion powder adds a great flavor to the chicken. You can use onion flakes or ground onion powder.
To sear the chicken, use olive oil. If you don’t have olive oil on hand, you can use vegetable oil instead.
I usually use store-bought minced garlic (that you buy in a jar). Alternatively, fresh garlic cloves that have been minced can be used.
Sun-dried tomatoes – Sun-dried tomatoes are available in supermarkets pre-packaged in plastic containers or jars. Alternatively, you can purchase a container of sun-dried tomatoes from any supermarket’s deli area. Sun-dried or semi-dried tomatoes work well in this recipe.
Dijon mustard – this adds a great flavor to the creamy sauce!
Chicken stock liquid can be purchased at the shop or made at home by combining powdered chicken stock with water.
For this recipe, I recommend using cooking cream or thickened cream.
baby spinach leaves – this recipe calls for 3 cups of baby spinach leaves, which may seem like a lot when you put them in the slow cooker, but they wilt down to virtually nothing!
parmesan cheese – I recommend using grated parmesan cheese (the small thin sticks of parmesan cheese sold in store packs).
Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Recipe
Put the ingredients for this dinner in a slow cooker when it’s too hot to cook, and then wait for the praises to roll in. This hearty recipe is made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, an abundance of herbs, and Castelvetrano olives that have been pitted.
- Cooking spray can be used to coat the inside of the slow cooker, or you can use a plastic liner instead.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper over the chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
- Over the seasoned chicken, evenly arrange sun-dried tomatoes and sliced olives.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Cook until the onions begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes, in the heated oil. Cook until the garlic is aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the onions to the slow cooker with a slotted spoon and spread equally over the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and mix in the cream until all of the olive oil has been incorporated and the sauce has begun to boil. Distribute the cream sauce evenly over the onions.
- Cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or Low for 6 to 7 hours if you prefer a longer cook time.
- Transfer the cooked chicken and vegetables to a platter to serve. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the spinach from the sauce and place it on top of the chicken and vegetables.
- There won’t be much sauce. Pour into a small saucepan over medium heat if you want a thicker sauce. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir until there are no more lumps. This will make a slurry. Add the slurry to the sauce and cook it over medium-high heat while stirring constantly for 5 to 7 minutes, or until it starts to bubble and thicken.
- Serve the dish hot with sauce and spinach on top.
Serving Size 29.6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 407
- % Daily Value *
- Cholesterol 164.7mg55%
- Sodium 726.6mg31%
- Total Carbohydrate 9g3%
- Protein 27g54%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.