Today I’m sharing with you a twist on classic and stuffed French Toast, which is stuffed french toast. It’s a custardy bread filled with cream cheese and strawberries, topped with sweet maple syrup. A quick fact about french toast, it’s not actually French, it wasn’t created in France, nor was the person who created it french.
It was created as a way to revive stale old bread that otherwise would have been wasted, and today it’s turned into a popular breakfast food. The name just comes from a chef named Joseph French. There are endless possibilities when making this, you can stuff it with whatever you want, or whatever you have on hand. It’s breakfast done right. So if you would like to learn how to make this, then let’s get started.
- Chopping Board
- Bread Knife
- Mixing Bowl
- 4 Slices Bread
- 100g | 3.5oz Cream Cheese
- 15g | 2 Tablespoons Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
- 8 Strawberries
- 2 Eggs
- 250ml | 1 Cup Milk
- 15g | 1 Tablespoon Butter
Instructions: How to make french toast
1. First thing for this recipe is to slice some bread. Cut the slices from the middle of the loaf so they will be around the same size. They need to be about an inch thick or 2-3 cm. Lay the slices of bread out on the chopping board while you prepare the filling for french toast.
(For the French Toast filling, place some room temperature cream cheese into a small bowl. Make sure it’s at room temperature as it will mix a lot more easily and also spread a lot more evenly onto the bread)
2. Divide the cream cheese mixture between the four slices of bread. Use a knife to spread the cream cheese mixture evenly across each slice of bread. Along with the cream cheese, you can be stuffing the french toast with strawberries.
Slice and straberries
3. Place the thinly sliced strawberries into a single layer onto two of the slices of the bread. Make sure to leave a small gap around the edge of the bread so it is just the cream cheese mixture. When the French Toast is cooked the cream cheese will melt and create a glue that will hold the two slices of bread together.
4. Pick up the slices of bread without the strawberries and place them on top to create the sandwiches. Press down on the bread to make sure it has stuck together and the strawberries aren’t going to just fall out. Set the bread to the side.
5. In a clean bowl make the French Toast mixture to dip the bread into. Crack in two good-quality free-range eggs. Measure out a cup of milk and pour into the bowl with eggs. Use a fork to beat the ingredients together until they are well combined.
6. Place in one of the sandwiches and leave for a minute or so to soak up some of the liquid. While waiting for the bread place a medium-sized fry pan over medium heat and add a small amount of butter to the pan to melt. Turn the bread over carefully, not letting the slices of bread fall apart, and leave for a further minute to soak up on the opposite side.
7. Remove the bread from the dish and place it into the hot fry pan. Cook the french toast for about 4 minutes, checking the bottom occasionally that it’s not burning. It will be ready to flip when the bottom has crisped up and is golden brown. To flip the french toast use a spatula. Cook for a further 4 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
8. Remove the French Toast from the frypan and place it on a chopping board to slice. Repeat with the remaining French Toast. Cut the toast in half and place it onto a plate. Sprinkle with icing sugar or powdered sugar, drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy.
This is a fun and interesting way to make Classic french toast a little more interesting. There are endless possibilities of what you could stuff the toast with. Banana and Chocolate is an amazing mix.
Stuffed French Toast
Serves 2 | Calories 498 | Fat 27g | Protein 16g | Carbs 48g | Sugar 16g | Sodium 660mg
How to make stuffed Franch quickly
- Cut four even slices of bread from a loaf, about 1 inch thick. Mix together the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture between the four slices of bread and spread evenly. Slice the strawberries into thin slices and place them onto two of the slices of bread.
- Leave a small space at the edge of the bread. Press the remaining two slices of bread on top of the strawberries creating a sandwich. In a small bowl mix together the eggs and milk with the help of a fork until everything is well combined.
- Pour into a shallow dish and add the sandwiches. Allow the bread to soak in the egg mixture for about a minute before turning over carefully.
- Heat a frypan over medium heat and melt the butter. Remove the sandwiches from the dish and place them into the frypan.
- Cook for about four minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Slice in half and serve with a dusting of icing sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup.