Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots – An easy breakfast or brunch recipe made with frozen tots, sausage, eggs, and cheese. It’s easy to prepare ahead of time and bakes up cheesy golden delicious in under an hour!
How to Make This Easy Breakfast Recipe
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is similar to a traditional baked hash brown casserole but much more exciting… I mean, isn’t anything made with tots automatically amazing?
This simple recipe is a family favorite, especially among the kids. Toss frozen tots into a baking dish, then top with savory breakfast sausage and vegetables, pour in eggs, top with shredded cheese, and bake. In less than an hour, you’ll have a piping hot, fluffy, and delicious casserole ready to serve for breakfast, brunch, or brinner.
This cheesy tater tot casserole is ideal for making the night before and baking in the morning. It’s also a fantastic freezer meal!
- Frozen tater tots
- Breakfast pork or chicken sausage, ground onion, chopped
- Any color bell pepper, chopped
- minced garlic
- Large eggs
- For the richest and most delectable breakfast casserole, use half and half.
- shredded Mrs. Dash – all-purpose seasoning or another dried herb seasoning, pepper jack cheese – or other preferred cheese
- Just a pinch of salt
How to Make the Best Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Place the frozen tater tots in a baking dish to thaw while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
After that, heat a large skillet over medium heat. With a wooden spoon, break up the pork sausage into small pieces. Brown the sausage for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. After that, move the cooked sausage to the pan’s edges and add the onions, peppers, and garlic.
To the skillet, add the Mrs. Dash and salt. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes more to soften. Then turn off the heat.
Meanwhile, prepare a mixing bowl. Pour in the half-and-half and crack the eggs into the bowl. Mix until smooth.
Fill the baking dish halfway with the meat and vegetable mixture.
Get the full (printable) recipe for Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole below. Enjoy!
Toss in half of the shredded cheese to combine the ingredients. Then, in an even layer, spread them out.
Pour the tater tot mixture over the egg mixture. Then, on top, sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden on top.
Suggestions for Serving
Allow the tater tot casserole to cool slightly before cutting it into 12 large pieces and serving it warm. For a fresh flavor boost, top with chopped parsley or sliced green onions.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH CASSEROLE FOR BREAKFAST?
This dish is delicious with a variety of tasty condiments and sides! Serve with sour cream, hot sauce, ketchup, salsa, or any other sauce of your choice.
With vegetables, meat, and cheese, this recipe makes a complete meal in one pan! It’s also delicious for breakfast or brunch with classic sides like Creamiest Cheese Grits, Red White, and Blue Chopped Fruit Salad, or simple seasonal fruit or slices of avocado.
Variations on a Recipe
- Ground pork sausage, chicken sausage, or turkey sausage can all be used to make breakfast tater to the casserole.
- To make this a vegetarian recipe, leave out the sausage and substitute your favorite plant-based ground meat.
- Substitute cheddar, gouda, or another shreddable and melty cheese for the spicy pepper jack.
Questions and Answers
CAN YOU PREPARE TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE IN ADVANCE?
You certainly can! Simply put everything together, cover, and chill in the fridge overnight. When ready to eat, unwrap and bake according to the recipe.
HOW LONG CAN UNCOOKED BREAKFAST CASSEROLE BE KEPT IN THE FRIDGE?
An unbaked casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, but less than 12 hours is ideal.
CAN UNBAKED TATER TO CASSEROLE BE FROZEN?
Absolutely! This is an excellent make-ahead freezer meal. Assemble the dish but do not bake it, just as you would if you were preparing it overnight. Pro Tip: I recommend preparing the casserole in an aluminum pan that can easily be transferred from the freezer to the oven.
Wrap the pan in two layers of plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking according to the recipe directions.
HOW LONG DO LEFTOVERS LAST?
Leftover tater tot breakfast casserole will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator
Are you looking for more quick breakfast and brunch recipes?
- Reface Pro APK 3.18.0 Download (Unlocked Mod) 2023
- Jamaican Curry Chicken
- Maple Walnut Fudge
- WhatsApp Aero APK Download Latest Version (Official) November 2022
- Easy Mini Cherry Tarts Recipe
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
This quick breakfast or brunch casserole uses frozen tater tots, sausage, eggs, and cheese. It’s easy to prepare ahead of time and bakes up cheesy golden delicious in under an hour!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set out a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the tater tots into the baking dish to thaw while you’re prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Set a large skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Add the pork sausage and break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
Brown the sausage for at least five minutes, stirring as needed. Then move the cooked sausage to the edges of the pan and add in the onions, peppers, and garlic. Add the Mrs. Dash and salt to the skillet. Sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes to soften. Then remove from heat.
- Set out a mixing bowl. Crack the eggs into the bowl and pour in the half-and-half. Beat until smooth.
- Scoop the meat and vegetable mixture into the baking dish. Add half of the shredded cheese to the pan and toss the ingredients to mix. Then spread them out into an even layer.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater to mixture. Then sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden on top. Cut into 12 large pieces and serve warm.
- Recipe Variations:
- Breakfast tater tot casserole can be made with ground pork sausage, chicken sausage or turkey sausage.
- To make this a vegetarian recipe omit the sausage or use whatever plant-based ground meat alternative you prefer.
- Swap spicy pepper jack cheese with cheddar, gouda, or other shreddable and melty cheese you like.
- Can you make tater to breakfast casserole ahead of time?
- Yes, you can! Simply assemble, cover, and chill in the fridge overnight. Then unwrap and bake per the recipe when ready to enjoy.
- How long can you keep uncooked breakfast casserole in the fridge?
- The unbaked casserole will keep well for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator, but under 12 hours is really best.
- Can you freeze the unbaked tater tot casserole?
- Absolutely! This is a terrific make-ahead freezer meal. Just like preparing overnight, assemble the dish but do not bake. Pro Tip: I recommend that you prepare the casserole in an aluminum pan that can easily go from the freezer to the oven.
- Wrap the pan in a layer of plastic wrap, then in a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake according to the recipe instructions.
- How long do leftovers keep well?
- Leftover tater tot breakfast casserole will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.