Tomato Italian Pie – A flaky crust and creamy goat cheese spread are topped with fresh herbs and ripe heirloom tomatoes in this savory galette. It’s absolutely delightful!
I have to admit that when heirloom tomato season arrives, I get a little excited. These colorful, thick gems of the tomato world are both delicious and versatile!
This Italian Tomato Pie recipe should be on your must-make heirloom list. It’s a savory version of a galette or crostata with a flaky pie crust and goat cheese, tomatoes, and fresh herbs on top. The crust is wrapped slightly up and over the dish, giving it the appearance of a rustic cross between a pizza and a traditional southern tomato pie.
Although there is nothing fancy about this flavorful tomato galette, it serves beautifully and is sure to impress!
What Is the Difference Between Crostata and Galette?
These are the French and Italian versions of the same dish. Regardless of origin, the savory version is sometimes referred to as a galette, and the sweet flat pies are referred to as crostatas.
They both have a flaky pie crust base, a rich spread of some kind, and a fresh fruit or vegetable topping in common.
- Boxed roll-out pie crust or homemade pie crust
- Chevre goat cheese, softened so it can be spread
- chopped scallions
- divided fresh thyme
- divided fresh dill
- Heirloom tomatoes come in a wide range of colors.
- To make a wash, use an egg.
- To taste, season with salt and pepper.
Making a Savory Tomato Galette
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place one pie crust on top of the other using two boxed roll-out pie crusts. Form the crusts into a large 14-inch circle. Use the entire batch of dough if using our homemade pie crust recipe.
The double layer of crust is essential for producing a sturdy galette that does not become soggy when baked.
Spread an even layer of softened goat cheese over the pie crust. Allow a 2-inch rim around the perimeter.
Cut the heirloom tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Set them aside after blotting them with paper towels to absorb some of the moisture.
2 tablespoons scallions, 1 teaspoon thyme, and 1 teaspoon dill on top of the goat cheese
Then, overlapping if necessary, arrange the heirloom tomatoes over the goat cheese circle.
The Complete (Printable) Italian Tomato Pie Recipe is Listed Below. Enjoy!
Fold the pie crust edge up and over the tomatoes to form a 1 1/2 to 2-inch crimped edge around the top. Fold the crust over itself in a pretty pattern every 1 1/2 to 2 inches. (For clarity, see the photos.)
In a small bowl, whisk the egg thoroughly. Brush the egg over the crust’s edge. Then season the pie’s top with salt and pepper.
After 30 minutes, check the pie crust. Cover loosely with foil if it’s getting dark. Continue baking for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove the galette from the oven and top with the remaining fresh thyme and dill.
Serve warm, cut into 8 slices.
Questions and Answers
WHAT CAN BE USED IN PLACE OF HERITAGE TOMATOES?
Any ripe, soft, and sliceable tomato will suffice. Tomatoes on the vine and large-slicing tomatoes are both excellent choices!
HOW DO YOU MAKE A VEGAN TOMATO GALETTE?
Make a vegan pie crust with your favorite plant-based goat cheese spread. Replace the egg wash with soy milk, almond milk, or olive oil.
WHAT GOES BEST WITH A TOMATO GALETTE?
This savory Italian pie is delicious for brunch, lunch, or dinner! Keep it light and serve it with a fresh green salad. For a heartier meal, serve it with Italian Pasta Salad or Minestrone Soup.
HOW LONG IS LEFTOVER ITALIAN PIE GOOD FOR?
A homemade savory crostata will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 or 3 days. However, keep in mind that the longer it sits, the softer the tomatoes and pie crust become.
Reheat briefly in a 350°F oven. I do not recommend microwaving leftovers.
Looking for More Delicious Recipes?
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Jamaican Curry Chicken
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Recipe
- GB WhatsApp Download APK (Update) OFFICIAL Anti-Ban Nov 2022 Latest Version
- Maple Walnut Fudge
Tomato Galette (Savory Italian Pie)
A flaky crust and creamy goat cheese spread are topped with fresh herbs and ripe heirloom tomatoes in this savory Italian tomato pie recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lay out a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using two boxed rolls of pie crusts, lay one pie crust on top of the other. Roll the crusts together into a large 14-inch circle. (If using our homemade pie crust recipe used the entire batch of dough.)
- Spread the goat cheese in an even layer over the pie crust leaving a 2-inch rim around the edge.
- Slice the heirloom tomatoes into rounds, 1/4 inch thick. Lay them out on paper towels to absorb some of the moisture.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese with 2 tablespoons of scallions, 1 teaspoon of thyme, and 1 teaspoon of dill. Lay the heirloom tomatoes over the goat cheese circle overlapping if needed.
- Fold the edge of the pie crust up and over the tomatoes creating a 1 1/2 to 2-inch crimped edge around the top. Fold the crust over itself every 1 1/2 to 2 inches in a pretty pattern. (See the photos for clarity.)
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk well. Brush the egg over the edge of the crust. Then sprinkle the top of the pie with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then check the pie crust. If it’s turning dark cover it loosely with foil. Then continue to bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the remaining fresh thyme and dill. Then cut and serve.
- A homemade savory crostata will keep well for up to 2 or 3 days in the refrigerator. But note that the longer it sits, the softer the tomatoes and pie crust will become.