Soup season has come, and you’ll be adding this Vegan Creamy Mushroom Soup dish to your repertoire this year. it’s creamy without use dairy.
This soup is on practically a weekly rotation at our house when the weather cools in the fall and transitions into winter.
To be honest, its creamy texture (without the milk) and strong mushroom taste enhanced by dried mushrooms lure me all year long, save on the hottest summer days food processor.
VIDEO OF THE DAY
I enjoy it with a sandwich or salad at lunch. When I want to spice up a dinner with guests, I prefer to serve tiny bowls as an appetizer. It arouses your taste receptors in anticipation of the food to come.
May You Also Love This!
Mushrooms to Use in Creamy Mushroom Soup
This soup has a strong mushroom taste, and it all starts with fresh cremini mushrooms (also sometimes called baby Bella or baby portobellos.)
Cremini mushrooms are essentially more mature white button mushrooms with a brown hue and firm texture; with additional growing time, they mature into meaty portobello caps—all three are the same kind. They have a much deeper flavor than white button mushrooms because they are more mature.
A tiny amount (1 ounce) of dry porcini mushrooms reconstituted in hot water enhances the mushroom taste significantly. The soaking water is diluted and added to the soup, while the drained mushrooms cook in the vegetable broth. If you can’t find dried mushrooms, simply add an additional 8 ounces.
The Best Method for Preparing Fresh Mushrooms for Soup
Mushrooms are porous and absorb water if rinsed too far ahead of time, but if you’re going to boil them in a soup, you don’t need to meticulously remove detritus one mushroom at a time!
Swish them about in a big basin of cold water to prepare them quickly and easily. The dirt that adheres to them should settle to the bottom of the bowl. Transfer them to a sheet of paper towels to drain using your hands. Do this right before you start making the soup.
Although you can cut the mushrooms with a knife, a food processor is the quickest method to get your soup started. You’ll be puréeing the soup.
We have some wonderful resources for you if you want to learn more about buying and storing mushrooms, cooking mushrooms, and cleaning them:
Making Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup
A spoonful of uncooked rice adds body and is an ancient French tip for thickening pureed vegetable soups.
This is a convenient way to serve a creamy vegan soup without using dairy. Some of the mushroom soaking water and vegetable stock will be used to produce the soup broth, and they will give more than enough mushroom flavour to make this soup a smash!
Helpful Hints for Making This Soup Even Better!
To lighten the final flavour and temper the intense mushroom flavour, add a splash of lemon juice.
To add some crunch, make some little croutons. Sourdough bread adds a lot of flavour to this soup, but if you want to make it gluten-free, simply substitute your favourite gluten-free bread.
Finally, putting clipped chives over top adds a splash of colour
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Soup
This creamy vegan mushroom soup is thickened with walnuts, which provide the soup a creamy texture without the need for milk.
- To make soup: In a big saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring periodically until the mushrooms are soft, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups shiitake mushrooms, 4 cups baby Bella mushrooms, onion (or shallot), celery, garlic, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Increase the heat to high and continue to cook, stirring often, until the sherry has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring the broth to a simmer. In a blender, puree 1 1/2 cups walnuts and 1 cup water until totally smooth, about 1 minute.
- Return the soup to a simmer after adding the cream.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring often, until the veggies are very soft, approximately 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender, approximately 2 minutes.
- Mix in the walnuts and salt. Cook, stirring periodically, for 1 minute more, or until heated.
- Using an immersion blender or a conventional blender (in batches if required), puree the soup until extremely smooth.
- (When combining hot liquids, use caution.) Mix in the vinegar and pepper.
- Serve the soup with the mushroom-walnut combination and chives on top.
- To prepare ahead of time: Prepare through Step 4 and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 534
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 45.7g71%
- Saturated Fat 4.6g23%
- Sodium 409.5mg18%
- Potassium 927.7mg27%
- Total Carbohydrate 23g8%
- Dietary Fiber 7.2g29%
- Sugars 7.1g
- Protein 13.1g27%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.